Friday 2 November 2012

Mental Health First Aid: Day 2

And thus concludes the training. Interestingly, I thought today was going to be even more intense, given the topics. But whilst I was a bit wobbly in the morning, all told it seemed a lot easier; guess there really is a lot to say for being prepared.

So yeah. The whole bloody thing has been particularly enlightening, from gaining a 'proper' understanding of things I've already experienced in some capacity to learning things I was previously flat out wrong about. Including some quite frightening things; not from the mentally ill themselves (forget what you thought you knew, you're more likely to be eaten by hedgehogs than actually harmed by a schizophrenic or the like), but from everyone else. The police? Less training in mental health than I've now had. GPs? Less training in mental health than I've now had.

I'm now considerably more confident in dealing with these things. Sure, the certificate is gonna look great on the old CV, and it's gonna make certain aspects of Mentoring that much less intimidating. But frankly this is the sorta stuff that'll always be bloody handy. Intense as it was, I'm really hoping to do the ASIST training if I can, really round off my capacity to help with these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment